- Joint pain
- Menstrual cramps
- Thyroid problems….the list goes on and on
I combine Chinese wisdom and Western dietetics (including food sensitivity testing if appropriate) to determine the best diet plan for each patient. To learn more about food sensitivities, click here.
Clinical experience has taught me several key points that I keep in mind when discussing dietary and lifestyle shifts with patients:
- Make a few changes at a time–start small and build up.
- Explain WHY it is helpful to avoid certain foods.
- Explain HOW foods can be avoided by suggesting several substitutes.
- If the patient falls off the wagon (eats cake at a birthday after avoiding sugar for weeks), discuss how they felt afterwards. Did their symptoms come back? Did they feel bloated, sick, etc? Or did they handle it fairly well and not suffer any immediate consequences? This is important information in assessing a patient’s progress and fine tuning their diet plan.
- If a patient tries and CAN NOT make dietary changes, I ask the question, WHY? Is there an energetic block that can be addressed with acupuncture? Can I help them by decreasing their cravings with specific acupuncture treatments? Often the answer is YES!
- Does a patient need more support? Referring patients to support groups, psychotherapists, personal trainers, nutritionists and/or suggesting books with meal plans and recipes can be incredibly helpful.
In the Oriental medical perspective, food IS medicine. Herbal formulas are simply an extension and intensification of dietary principals. In fact, there are several Chinese dishes that incorporate herbs into meals (they can even taste good, believe it or not) for the treatment of diabetes, the common cold, psoriasis, etc. Patients may need my help incorporating lifestyle changes such as the appropriate exercise and yoga routines, sleeping schedules, etc. While conveying diet and lifestyle information is crucial, it is only part of the picture. Patients have to see how it is POSSIBLE to implement changes in their day to day lives.
To find out what type of diet is right for you Schedule Your Appointment today!